History of the St Regulus Ladies Golf Club
St Regulus Ladies Golf Club owes its origin to 25 Madras College former pupils and a 'few friends'. In 1913 they decided to establish a golf club to be known as 'The Madras Ladies Golf Club', with club meetings to be held at Madras College. Unfortunately, in 1916, the military took over Madras College and club meetings were moved to Seaton House in City Road, not 100 yards away from the present clubhouse.
In 1919, the Madras Former Pupils Club that had been in abeyance was reconstituted. The Rector announced he wished to sever the association with the golf club as the 'few friends' far outnumbered the Former Pupils. It was decided that the golf club should be re-named St Regulus Ladies' Golf Club, and the club would attempt to find premises to use as clubrooms. In the early days before arrangements could be made, the first meetings were held while leaning over the railings surrounding the 18th hole of the Old Course.
After a good deal of searching a boiler room became available at 9 Gibson Place, and 24 lockers were purchased for the sum of £24. In December 1922, the club rented a room owned by St Andrews Club for £15 per year. In February 1929, it was decided by the Committee to have a club badge which was duly produced and proved very popular with the members. The same badge is still in use today.
The club moved premises again in May 1946 to a room at the Golf School for £20 annual rent. For some years members had been fund-raising whenever possible with the intention of purchasing a property and in 1949, with funds collected and interest free loans from friends of the club and club members, the present premises were purchased. The building a three storey house was sub-divided and the two upper floors sold with the club retaining the ground floor which comprised a large lounge room and kitchen and rooms in the basement for lockers, changing room and cloakroom facilities.
In 1998 the Club inaugurated their Millennium Project which was a complete refurbishment and extension of the premises. Work was delayed during 1999 due to various problems completely outside the Club's domain but the building work was completed by the end of March 2000 with the official opening on 1 May 2000.
Currently the Club has an enthusiastic membership of 375, 8 of whom are Life Members and 42 Juniors. The Club organises numerous golf competitions with a full fixture list playing for some magnificent trophies over all the St Andrews courses including the Old Course. Medals and competitions are held all the year round for the stout-hearted. Matches against various Fife clubs and mixed foursome competitions are well supported and give an opportunity to socialise after the game. There is a keen Putting Section who also play for many trophies......